Common Questions

Are there government programs available to lower-income persons who require housing or rental assistance?

Yes. Helping low-income seniors, individuals and families to meet their basic housing needs is a priority for the Alberta government.

1. The Community Housing Program provides subsidized rental housing for lower-income families, senior citizens, wheelchair users or other individuals who cannot afford private sector accommodation.

2. The Rent Support Program provides assistance to households in need to obtain and maintain affordable and suitable rental accommodation. 

3. The Seniors Self-Contained Housing Program provides affordable apartment accommodation for lower-income seniors who cannot afford private sector accommodation. Functionally independent seniors, with or without the help of existing community-based organizations, are eligible to apply.