Filter by:

Clear ×

What does Alberta Health Care Insurance cover when I travel out-of-province or out-of-country?

For travel within Canada, Alberta Health Care Insurance covers you for claims for medically required physician and hospital services. These are usually billed automatically through the provincial medical plans, provided you show your personal health card at the time of service. Other health service providers (e.g., dentists, chiropractors) will likely ask you to pay for the services, then provide you with a receipt that you can submit to the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan for reimbursement.You are covered for the same services that would be covered in Alberta.

For travel outside Canada, Alberta Health Care Insurance covers the same practitioner services as are covered in Alberta at the rate that an Alberta practitioner would receive on a fee-for-service basis. There are limits to the amount paid for a hospital stay.

Note: Claims for services received outside Alberta must be received by Alberta Health and Wellness within 365 days of the date of service. You are responsible for translating foreign language claims into English prior to submitting them. Complete the Travel claim form through the forms section on this site. Health care costs outside Canada can be extremely high. You should purchase additional health insurance even for short trips to cover those costs above what the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan will pay.

Programs and Services

Online Services

Financial Resources




Licensing & Registration


How Do I?