Common Questions

Filter by:

Clear ×

How can I become a security guard?

Security services workers, including security guards, loss prevention workers, executive protection, patrol dog handlers and security alarm responders, must be licensed under the Security Services and Investigators Act (SSIA). The companies and agencies that employ these professionals must also be licensed under SSIA.


Professionals in this industry are required to be licensed by the Alberta Solicitor General and Ministry of Public Security prior to commencing work.


For additional information and application forms sees the Investigators/Private Investigators Licensing Requirements link.

Alberta Industries

Arts, History & Libraries

Community & Recreation

Education & Training

Employment & Careers

Environment & Natural Resources

Government & Taxation


Housing & Property

Law, Justice & Citizens' Rights

Personal & Family Supports

Science, Technology & Research

Travel & Tourism

Vehicles & Driving